Overlap with Travel Tracker Pro?

Overlap with Travel Tracker Pro?

Postby stewlevine » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:13 pm

Is there a place that shows the overlap with and more importantly the unique features of Travel Tracker vs. Flight Update. Many of the features appear to be common to both. It would be nice to have a concise description of what additional functionality I would gain if I purchased Flight Update or Flight Update Pro to complement Travel Tracker Pro.
stewlevine

Re: Overlap with Travel Tracker Pro?

Postby tuxster » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:12 pm

I do not believe there is. I searched for one for a while as well, but could not find it. Maybe we can use this thread to compile such a list. Here is what I see so far:

Flight Update Pro Lacks
- Completely ignores non-flight components of Trip It plans -- you can't even see hotel names or car rental companies (I find this disappointing, others think this is good; see discussion below).
- Does not have the Awards Module (cannot track frequent flyer points)
- Does not have expense management Module
- No cruise tracking
- No packing list
- No currency converter

Travel Ticker Pro Lacks
- No on-time performance statistics for flights
- No way to search for alternate flights (in case your flight is cancelled)
- No way to track incoming flights to your gate
- No way to add custom personal notes for each airport

Please post additions and corrections below and I'll continue to maintain the list. (Last Updated Dec 2011)
Last edited by tuxster on Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tuxster

Postby Silverware » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:16 pm

Although the assessment is correct (except that Flight Update does have links to the airport websites), the two are marketed to two different types of customers
It should not be disappointing that Flight update only tracks flights. This is the intention of the app. For whatever reason a majority of users prefer this. It delivers on what it is advertised to do.

-Scott
Silverware Software
Silverware
Site Admin

Postby tuxster » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:52 pm

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your response. While they may be marketed to two different types of customers, there are two problems with implementation:

1) There is no clear description anywhere who those customers are, or a comparison of features. I struggled for a long time trying to figure out which one to buy, because I wasn't sure how the features compared. Stewlevine seems to have the same problem. It would be really nice to have a comparison table somewhere on the site. I bought Flight Update without realizing that non-flight info would be totally ignored in my TripIt itenaries, I just assumed I would see them.

2) What about those of us whose needs neither of these meet completely? I am a frequent traveler and need a software that can give me flight performance statistics, search for alternate flights, and incoming flight info. BUT, I also want to be able to see where I'm going to stay (at least the hotel name, address, confirmation number) and maybe even frequent flyer awards activity. To have two different applications on your phone that does parts of each really complicates my life (I have to remember which one to start every time based on the feature I need, I have to wait for both of them to sync with TripIt, entering information manually becomes cumbersome since it's split between two software, and it's a waste of money and memory to accommodate both applications when 80% of features overlap).

I find the lack of hotel info disappointing in Flight Update, because the information is already in TripIt. So, it would be extremely easy to have an option in Preferences that says "hide non-flight itenary items" for those who only want to use the flight features, and show the info for those of us that want to be able to see which hotel we'll be staying at (it doesn't have to have all the interactive features, but just being able to see the whole itenary would be sufficient). You can even have it disabled by default to keep it simple for most users, but the 'picky' users like me (and rickrobinson in the other thread) could enable it.

Finally, where is the links to airports in Flight Update? I just checked again and cannot locate it. I see the links to airlines, but not airports.
tuxster

Postby Silverware » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:26 pm

I just read my response and it was quite short. Definitely not how I typically answer questions in the forums. I must have been in a rush.

Flight Update does not show or mention any mention of tracking anything else than flights, either on iTunes or our website. I suppose we can state this explicitly to help customers. Sorry if this was not clear.

To display the airport link in Flight Update, go to the details screen and tap on the flag beside the airport name. This should be explicitly listed in the Options menu in the future.

Thanks.

-Scott
Silverware
Site Admin

Postby tuxster » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:28 pm

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the response again. Wow, tapping on the flag! I would have never thought.. Thanks for clarifying that.

It might be good to specify it explicitly. Here is what confused me, personally. From your description on the website:

Code: Select all
Download all of your trips’ itineraries from TripIt.com

Download your upcoming, past or even trips shared from others all into Flight Update Pro.

Not familiar with TripIt?

TripIt is an online service that helps people organize all their travel plans—flights, hotels, rental cars, trains,cruises—no matter where they booked. To get started,travelers just forward their travel confirmation emails to plans@tripit.com. TripIt processes these emails and automatically creates a master itinerary with travel plans,daily weather, local maps, restaurant reservations, city guides and more. With TripIt, travelers can print, access and share their travel plans online, from a mobile device or even in their personal calendar.

It says "download all of your trips' itenaries. And then you go on to describe that TripIt maintains all travel plans, including flights, hotels, cars, trains, cruises. So, for me, tripit integration and downloading all the itenary means I can see everything. TripIt has everything, and you are downloading all. Why wouldn't Flight Update have it then?

Maybe you want to change it so that it specifies that only flight related parts of the itenaries will be downloaded.
tuxster

Postby Silverware » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:46 pm

You are absolutely right.

The description of TripIt on our website describes all of TripIt's capabilities whereas Flight Update Pro will only download flights. I will have this corrected right away.

-Scott
Silverware
Site Admin

Postby stewlevine » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:06 am

Thank you everyone for the responses. As I expected, there is quite a bit of overlap between the two. As an owner of Travel Tracker Pro, it would be nice if there was a purchasable add-on module for the remaining features that Flight Update has without getting additional functionality duplicated.
stewlevine

Postby dkas2929 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:04 pm

stewlevine,
I wonder if we sent a copy of this thread to the two companies one of them might do an update :)
dkas2929

Return to Flight Update