forced to buy subscriptions

forced to buy subscriptions

Postby cactusflier » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:47 am

I am an airline pilot who used this app for years, now with version 7.21 I am forced to subscribe to track more than five flights in a month. This app is now dead to me and I will use company supplied app, not as clean interface but I am not forced to buy a subscription. Too bad.
cactusflier

Re: forced to buy subscriptions

Postby Silverware » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:17 pm

The change was a necessity. 3 years ago the service we use changed their pricing scheme from a fixed price paid to them each monty to a per-transaction charge where we pay for every request made to the service. The app has been losing money for 3 years and I had to make a decision. Either close down the app and remove it from sale or offer a subscription option that would match the costs of tracking flights (and allow for a modest profit).

The loses have gotten so bad because of heavy users who would track in excess of 100 flights (sometimes 150 flights) per month. To compound this many people took advantage of Apple's Family Sharing plan which would allow up to 5 family members to download the app for free and track an unlimited number of flights. There was no way we could cover these heavy users and family sharing users.

I understand the app is dead to you but perhaps others might consider subscribing. They will be able to continue to use a great app and allow me to invest in the app and allow me to make enhancements and improvements and support the new forthcoming iOS 13.

I am not saying you have but many people have posted bad reviews and have stated some very bad things. Well I can tell you defintively that there is no evil company or person behind this. It is just an effort by me to keep the first flight status and schedule app available on the App Store to continue to exist (yes, Flight Update was the first relased in November 2008). I tell all my customers who will listen to just look at Flight Track, our #1 competitor who faced the same issue 3 years ago and simply chose to close down their app. They were considered the #1 flight tracking app at the time. Unfortunately I could not continue to lose money on this app any further. Now with the changes the app will be on solid footing moving forward.

-Scott (app author)
Silverware
Site Admin

Postby HKviking » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:58 pm

Dear Silverware,

I believe you need to fully understand the usage and also the limitations of your service. I have been a avid user of this app, plaining and traveling almost 300 trips with this app. I am just a business traveler, not a pilot.

Issue number 1, your app does not account for multi-leg flight planning. that means that if I'm planning a trip from Singapore to Toronto with a few layovers I need to research up to 25-50 flights to find the right combination for a single trip. I may end up at the end with 4 to 6 flights to track that I am actually booked on.

Issue 2, would you not be able to segregate the planing portion with the tracking portion? If you did this then the planing could be done with much cheaper options.

Take an example from this week, I had a trip planned. Investigating what aircraft type is used I loaded several results and kept the one that I favoured. Then my customer decided to move the meeting with one day. The change of date of the flight (Same route / flight number) on the app counts towards the tracking and the trip has yet to start.

Its been a great app and I have had great pleasure using it. With these new pricing I am hard to justify the cost unfortunately.
HKviking

Postby Silverware » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:56 pm

The bottom line is if you are a pilot or simply a business traveler, we are charged for EVERY flight you track and for every search you peform.

The cost of the different subscritions are based on your usage. It does not matter if you have several legs for your trip, we are charged by the service we use for EVERY flight you track. If you understand that then you will understand how we are now doing things.

With regards to your second point, we are charged for EVERY transaction, even searches. Once you reach the number of flights you have tracked departing in a month we stop the ability to search flights departing in that month.

-Scott
Silverware
Site Admin

Postby HKviking » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:36 am

Seems you need to find another vendor for your feeds. I believe your royalty underestimated how the app is used and on TOP makes it not clear how the subscription is decremented by simply searching, getting 10 ‘finds’ And you have consumed 10 followings/tracking. Pretty amateur I’m my view and I am own a software company and feel little pity for you.
HKviking

Postby Silverware » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:35 pm

This was not an underestimate but a COMPLETE change of the contract we had. From Fixed to a "per transaction" cost.

There is no better service. This service is the best and it was to delvier the best we had to agree to their terms. Check the reviews of other apps using other data sources.

Also, the app does not track "finds", it tracks actually tracking of a flight you add your itinerary. When it determines you have reached your allowable limit it will then disable the ability to track flights though. Please do not post incorrect information. Thank you.
Silverware
Site Admin

Postby Smokey » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:12 pm

So how do I get a refund for my $9.99 since you are taking away functionality that I had when I purchased the app in 2016?
Smokey

Postby Silverware » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:40 pm

Apple handles ALL aspects of the purchase and are the only ones with access to your account.
Silverware
Site Admin

Return to Flight Update Pro